Sunday, December 12, 2010

KC trip.

Saturday morning we beat the snow and headed down to Kansas City. Well, really Olathe Kansas. Love a little road trip, a weekend away, and time with my family! The drive was pretty uneventful with the exception of Charlotte's insane blowout 10 miles into it that resulted in a change of clothes and using like half of the wipes in the diaper bag. Anyway, we stayed with my Aunt and Uncle and they were the best hosts ever. When we got there we were greeted with a darling outfit for Charlotte. Then they took us to get probably the best BBQ we've ever had at Oklahoma Joe's. Craig got their Z-man sandwich and I got the Saturday special--Burnt Ends. The line was out the door and for good reason. So delicious!
{This is a picture of Craig's meal that I stole from google images. Except he didn't get gumbo.}

Later we ventured out to do a little Christmas shopping for me and the mall was INSANE. Really good stores but super crowded. Even I felt flustered in the mall and that's a rareity. I got a few good finds but then couldn't handle people anymore. I used to pride myself on my awesome weaving/manuevering/dodging techniques in crowded shopping situations but it's a whole new ball game when you're pushing a stroller. Or when one of you is pushing an empty stroller and the other is carrying the baby that seriously does not want to be in the stroller. What can I say? Charlotte's particular just like her mom.
That night my aunt hosted a big Christmas party and we did a gift exchange. More good food was consumed (and I'm supposed to be losing weight...FAIL). Craig and my uncle also enjoyed man time watching ESPN (I'm sure Craig was in heaven because we don't have cable).
Today on our drive home we stopped in Independence, Missouri to go to the visitor's center and to see the giant Community of Christ Seashell-ish temple. I hadn't been there in quite a few years and it was Craig's first time. Independence was pretty much how I remembered it....past it's prime and a little bit gross. But the visitor's center was really nice and the girl who gave us a tour was darling.
Me and the CofC temple. It was really windy, can you tell by my crazy hair? (sidenote: right now in the big O it is 4 degrees with a windchill of -9....woof)

At the visitor's center they had really pretty sculptures on display depicting miracles that Christ had performed. This one was of Lazarus. It was my favorite.




My loves.

We had a great time and loved being with my relatives. We will be taking lots of trips to Kansas while we are here in Omaha!

4 comments:

Lauren Jayne said...

I'm glad you guys made it safely! That is such a fun/quick trip! One of my good friends is from Olathe, they probably know each other. And Oklahoma joes, fantastic! That is where we ate last time I was in kc!

Danny said...

Fun trip! Mmm I super wish to go to Oklahoma Joes, it looks so yummy.

maynard said...

Burnt ends at Oklahoma Joes are the best! Glad you had such a good time. Gotta love a road trip.

SAM!!! said...

that all sounds pretty super. Both of my kids hate strollers too. Waste of $$.