Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Books.

I have read a few books this summer. Sadly when I was in college (that was so last year) I never read for fun. In some classes I never even cracked open my $175 text books (sorry dad). When I was younger I loved reading--especially the Babysitters Club (if those even count). These days I dare say that I love having a library card, not only because I can check out lots of books, but also because I have a bountious number of 80's workout videos to choose from at my very fingertips. Here are some books I read (ps I realize they are easy and they are not literary masterpieces.):
Cheesy. but I checked it out for a plane ride. Some Nicholas Sparks books I like...this one was way too dramatic.

This one is totally worth reading. I loved it.

Liked this one. Not a Sparks drama/romance, but about his trip around the world.
Good, especially because it talks all about Virginia.
Really liked learning even more about Van Gogh than I did in my Humanities classes. I have mixed feelings about him--he was a mooch, and pretty mentally unstable, but did a lot of nice things for a lot of people and I love his work.

I am currently reading this. And liking it a lot. If you are a feminist you shouldn't read it because it will make you angry, but I agree with a lot of Dr. Laura's points--try and look hot for your husband (he didn't marry you because you looked like a raggamuffin), give him a hug when he comes in the door. Wait before you unload your entire day on him. Show him respect/love/appreciation and he will show it back. Don't talk to him the way you would talk to one of your girlfriends and get mad because he doesn't know how to repsond, etc.

This is my next read, which I will probably finish on my way to Idaho this weekend. I'm going with my parents and Craig has work. So if you are a boy and you are reading this (that's a stretch), come keep him company this weekend!

7 comments:

Jayci said...

thanks for the book reviews!! I'm interested in the Dr. Laura books! It sounds like a lot of good advice. :o) I've heard about the Wednesday Letters - did you cry?! I think I would/will if I read this.

Ben and Camille said...

weird, ben's friend david clay just told us to get that 'proper care and feeding of husbands' book. glad you liked it! i'm still stuck reading eclipse, almost done, then breaking dawn! hurray!

SAM!!! said...

I'm a boy I read it and I sort of regret it...

Caytee said...

Dang! Good for you. I got The Wednesday Letters from my mother-in-law but I haven't read it yet. Went to the Van Gogh museum when I was little. Same thoughts...odd guy, crazy depressing life, but good artwork. Love Dr. Laura!
PS I saw a Virginia license plate that said BYU FAN. Had to think of you! Hope you guys are doing good.

Kristen said...

Did you notice how Dr. Laura looks totally different in those two pictures on the covers? I just finished her book "Stupid things parents do to mess up their kids" and now I'm reading "The Mill on the Floss."

Colleen said...

Dana and I LOVED the Wednesday Letters!

K said...

Nicky Sparks sucks, but those dr. laura books are the best.