I had a doctor's appointment on Thursday, June 27th and there was minimal progress. However, she couldn't feel any water around him (apologies in advance for any graphic content) so she sent me to the hospital to get my fluid levels monitored. I spent all afternoon there and it ended up being pointless because everything was intact and my fluid levels were normal.
That night I started to have contractions around 3 AM. I showered and got ready until we decided to wake the girls and head out. At first I couldn't get a hold of my friend who had volunteered to be my on-call babysitter, so things got a little hectic. After about 4 phone calls she called me back. Hallelujah! We dropped the girls off and got to MacNeal hospital around 6.
My first nurse was NOT GOOD. She poked me soooo many times and gave me my IV in the top of my hand, which is the worst. Bruises for days. I waited for an hour and a half for someone to finally come in and check me. When they did, I was at a 7. It wasn't until then that they said they would admit me. It wasn't until I was admitted, had gotten my blood tested and had gone through an entire bag of IV fluid that they would let me get an epidural. They said that whole process would take an hour. They were all like, "Why get one at this point?! You won't even last that long!" and I was like, "BECAUSE I WANT TO DIE." I didn't say that, but seriously. No respite. Finally got my epidural, which no one thought I would have time for, water broke a short time later, and it was go time.
The usual labor-shot:
My own doctor didn't deliver me, but I loved the one that did (Dr. Bishop, just for memory's sake). Also, at this point I had an awesome nurse. So glad. My mom was my hand/leg holder/cord cutter (bleccchhh) and I am so happy that she could be there. I pushed for 12 minutes, hardly tore (that's a first), and he was here!
Lincoln Sterling Carter
June 28th, 2014 at 10:33 AM
8 lbs. 2.5 oz. and 21 inches long
Cute Grandma:
My mom picked up the girls from our friend's house and brought them back to meet Lincoln. They only held him for a few minutes but they were more interested than I expected them to be. Charlotte loved him and kept saying "He's perfect!" It was super sweet.
As much as I don't enjoy the hospital (especially this one), I always love the time that I have to be with just baby. Lincoln seemed pretty easy-going from the start.
Unfortunately, Lincoln got some extra hospital time and ended up staying for 5 long, long days. We all expected him to have jaundice since both of the girls did. Apparently they don't do the billi-lights at home in Chicago like they do in Omaha, so my options were to either "nest" with him at the hospital (with no meals or anything provided to me), leave him there and go home, or take him home but go to his pediatrician the next day (I knew the Dr. would just tell me that his levels were up so he needed to be admitted to a hospital after a day at home). It wasn't fun but I decided to leave him in the nursery and go home to my other kids. That way at least I could get better sleep and food and give my girls extra attention before Lincoln joined us. I am glad I made that decision, because while he was in the special care nursery they discovered they weren't happy with his respiratory rate. It should be around 40-60 but he was fluctuating all over the place and at times over 100. We wouldn't have known any of that had we brought him home! It was awful to only be able to visit him. Craig came home for a visit earlier than he planned to and we spent a lot of time driving back and forth to the hospital (an hour round-trip) and sitting with him. Poor baby had to get a feeding tube so they could be sure he wouldn't aspirate any of his food. Thankfully his chest x-ray and cultures came back negative for any infections/fluids, etc. and he was FINALLY able to come home!
Ready to bust out of that joint:
First time home:
When Lincoln was 9 days old we left Chicago, made the looooong drive to Virginia and we've been here ever since. It has been awesome being with my parents and having Craig come down on weekends. Lincoln is so adorable and sweet. He doesn't cry much but when he does it's probably because he's ravenously hungry. At his 1 week appointment he had exceeded his birth weight and was 8 lbs. 3 oz. Seems like he is eating all the time! My favorite times during the day are cuddling with him and letting him nap on me. He also loves snuggling with Grandma. He is seriously a dolly. We are so glad Lincoln is part of our family!

4 comments:
I can attest that he's a sweet little guy and very mellow. Loves to be held and he's cute as can be. We love having all of you here this summer.
Cute kid. Sorry the labor was bad. At least now you're in VA.
It's so fun to see these pictures, he is so cute! He already looks like Charlotte.
He is so perfect! I can't wait to meet him!
Post a Comment