Sunday, March 16, 2014

Luck of the Chi-rish.

In Chicago we'll think of any way we can to use "Chi" before something--people say the violence in the south side is like "Chi-raq", the cold makes it "Chi-beria", for St. Patrick's Day it's "Chi-rish" "Chi-reland"...just go with it.
Yesterday we joined the whole city of Chicago (plus tourists) to see the Chicago River after it had been dyed green. They've been doing this for 40 years. Back then I'm sure they just dumped some toxic waste, and now I'm not sure what they use but it looks pretty awesome. It was a little chilly but we were happy campers because we found some good viewpoints, void of throngs of obnoxious 20-somethings who were already completely trashed by 10 AM. After admiring it we went to the cafe in Craig's school (building in the middle of this picture) and got some hot chocolate and donuts while we waited for the parade to start.




Here are some of the guys who make the river green:

I expected the parade to be awesome, but honestly it was the worst parade I have ever been to and you couldn't pay me to go again next year. No candy, too many mediocre marching bands, random average people walking down the street, women crowding me and the girls to the point that another nice lady next to me confronted them about it...

I saw my dad's BFF Rahm Emmanuel but I couldn't get my camera on fast enough for a picture.

We left the parade a little early thinking that we could escape the crowds...oh no. Next year we will come down, see the river, go to lunch in the opposite direction of the parade and call it a day!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That parade sounds roughly like I usually feel about parades. In general they are annoying. All the green is worth seeing however. Keep soaking in the local "culture".

Unknown said...

BTW, I'm really bummed you didn't get Rahm Emmanuel's autograph as he is such a role model.

Fabulous Featherette said...

How could you not love the bagpipers. I think bagpipes are awesome--really. The green dog is cute, too. I would have freaked in a crowd where you couldn't move, especially with two little girls to keep track of. Kudos for getting out and participating in the local events.